Thursday, May 28, 2009

Robotic experiences

Well, today I had a very interesting experience. Last night I stayed in a hotel in downtown Houston. I woke up at 3:45 a.m. and promptly at 4:45 a.m. got on the bus that took me to MEPS (aka Military Entrance Processing Station).

Just for clarification, I am joining the Navy, at least that is the plan, and today I went to get my physical done. It was one of the most humbling experiences ever. To them, you are just another person, another recruit, and it is as if you are going down a conveyor belt that makes sure the robot is in working order. You don't ask why, you just do what they say. I guess you could ask why, but when one kid asked a question, well, they made him look like an idiot. So after witnessing what had occurred to that young recruit, I decided against asking any unnecessary questions.

I remember feeling so tired throughout the whole process, so robotic. I felt so small, that it was like going through the motions. Check this, check that, okay...NEXT! Okay, next station. It made me realize that I was just one person in a sea of people. There was nothing more heroic about what I was doing than the person sitting next to me. We were all there for one purpose: to try to get into the military and serve our country.

Tomorrow, if all goes well, will be the day I get to swear in, take an oath to defend this nation against all enemies, both foreign and domestic, I will be able to serve, hopefully, in the U.S. Navy.

2 comments:

  1. You're not a robot, and it saddens me that they would treat you like that. But i suppose you will build a strong community with other recruits, partly because of the way they treat you.
    But always know, you are not a robot, you are created in the image of God. (and no, that doesn't go against my theological beliefs)
    I love you very much :)

    ReplyDelete